This is where I get to info-dump all the things about myself that no one really gives a shit about. Uninterrupted!
I'm a musician, programmer, pedal-builder, addicted to learning things and call-in radio.
Right now I'm doing these things: Forth, Go, PureData, releasing some new albums, building guitar pedals, and re-examining my assumptions about America.
Github is here. StackOverflow is here. Projects are here. My dumb Twitter is here.
My Engineering Values (or hot takes, or naive delusions ... whichever you prefer)
- Asking questions > looking smart.
- Clear code > performant code > clever code.
- Team code convention > personal style.
- 'Minimal Viable Product' is the gilded philosophical core of our exploitation economy.
- Mentorship programs are crucial to a thriving and self-aware company culture.
- A 'senior' developer is equal parts politician and technician.
- Deep-link early and often.
- Modals, please no.
Books I've Read and Liked During the Great Quarantine of 2020
- The Plague, by Albert Camus
- The Buried Giant, by Kazuo Ishiguro
- Being and Doing, by Marcus Raskin
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers
- Journey to the End of the Night, by Ferdinand Celine
- The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner
- Man in the Holocene, by Max Frisch
The Ones I Admire
The Podcasts I Need
- The Best Show (duh)
- Medieval Death Trip (reading and interpreting medieval texts)
- Go Time (golang. delightful)
- The Partially Examined Life (philosophy)
- Beg to Differ (center left & center right round-table discussion)
- RA Exchange (interviews with important people in modern electronic music by an electronic music institution)
- Free Thoughts (Libertarian, philosophy-centric)
- The Ralph Nader Radio Hour (consumer advocacy)
- The Endless Honeymoon (unflinching and often vulgar relationship advice)
My Favorite Steven Wright Jokes
I lost a buttonhole today.
One time the police stopped me for speeding. They said, "Oh, you know the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" I said, "Yeah, I know. But I wasn't going to be out that long".